Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wow . . . can I even call myself a "blogger"?

Too much to say and not enough time! It has been so long I don't even know if I can be called a blogger. If anyone is reading this, hold me accountable to at least following up about El Salvador (sometime soon) and encourage me to pass on prayer requests.

The quick of it, El Salvador was a great trip. I really like Living Water International (http://www.water.cc/) and would recommend them from what I know and have experienced thus far. I think it would be great to have a group of friends take a week sometime and go drill a well instead of taking a typical "vacation". Let me know if anyone is interested!

Please pray for Granton Bayless (http://grantonbayless.blogspot.com/). He is the son of some friends from church. You can read up to know more about the specifics.

I spent some time this morning getting caught up with Fred and Lindsey Broome. The sad thing is, I didn't get to talk with either of them! My thought and challenge to all . . . blogging is a double-edged sword . . . we can all keep up and know what is going on in each other's lives and never speak again. There is a delicate balance to be found. Please, give us a call, come visit (that is an open invitation to all), invite us to come visit you! I give anyone reading this the permission and challenge to hold me accountable to seeking out "real", person-to-person interaction and fellowship!

Last words . . . I really want to be reading more and I am too lazy to discipline myself and make it happen. If anyone is interested, here are some of the books I am aspiring to read. I would like suggestions and I hope to gain your insights on some of these books as I actually get into them!

Faithful to the End (Wilder, Charles, Easley) - This is the textbook from a class I enrolled in this past spring (Hebrews and General Epistles). Because of my crazy schedule, I took the easy way out and audited the class. You just don't retain things as well when you don't have to prepare for exams and write papers and so I am going back over my notes (60 Pages Typed!) and trying to read the text again so I really have a better basic understanding of Hebrews, James and such!

The Idea of a Christian College (Arthur F. Holmes) - Work related but from what I can see so far it would be interesting reading for anyone . . . especially for anyone looking to work at a Christian College and for those of us who will eventually look to send our children to college (what a thought!)

The Politics of Jesus (John Howard Yoder) - I hope to have some discussion on this after I read it!

Simply Christian (N.T. Wright) - Discussion!

The Irresistible Revolution (Shane Claiborne) - He will be coming to SBU to speak this Fall.

The Fabric of Faithfulness (Steven Garber) - Work related!

If you made it this far, thanks! Grace be with you.

7 comments:

Fred Broome said...

Zach -
Great to keep up with you. I didn't even know you blogged. As for books to read, check out my blog to find the latest of my reads. If you haven't read it yet, I'd order God's Grand Vision for The Home, by Dr. Rob Rienow. You can get it at www.visionaryparenting.com - it's short, great, and only cost $5.
Good to hear from you.

deliveredjude said...

Zach,

It was great getting to catch up with you this evening. Our talk has left me with much to think upon and process. I don't know that I could read the same books as you, but I do think that we could generate some accountability about reading in general. I hope to see you around the blogging community more frequently as phone conversation is so rare.

I'm glad you're well. All the love. Nic

Rhianna Garber said...

Zach,
I feel silly writing on here, but we are all so busy and we don't get to hang out much. It's such a shame. I would love to see you guys more. I think we all need to put in a little extra effort to make that happen.

shelly said...

i am definately up for drilling a well with friends...just tell me when and where :)

also, will you tell me the date shane claiborne will be at sbu when you know? i'd be interested to hear him in person...i might take you up on your visit offer then!

Tim and Sherri said...

Hey Zach...we miss you bunches...we need to get together soon, so we'll take you up on your offer as well! Tell the girls Hello!
Sherri, Tim and hayden

the broomes said...

Hey Waters Family!!!!!!
We miss you guys and would LOVE it if y'all visited...any time!!! You know how crazy our MO trips are with trying to catch up with everyone...I feel like I don't really get to spend quality time with anyone. SO....you all just need to pack up the CRV and head on down to Georgia!!!
Please give your wife and precious girls hugs from me:)

Coppenger said...

Zach! You're back on the blog!Yippee! and thanks for the pics-I miss those 2 girls a ton! Y'all should come to Louisville and check out Southern and you can see us as well. I'm reading "The Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges. So far it is great, challenging, convicting and short chapters. Good stuff. Tell Erin & girls hi from us! Love y'all